The pre-enrolment process is already available. It is not possible to enrol new students because the Degree accreditation renewal is pending a final resolution. If you need further information or wish to pre-enrol (free of charge), contact us.
What is the Practicum?
The Practicum is an essential part of the teaching training process where students are introduced to real education environments so they can link theory and practice in their learning process. The Practicum may be considered the most comprehensive course of the degree, in which students acquire first-hand knowledge through observation, analysis, and reflection.
This course means the first contact with the teaching profession in real life. Our future graduates will have an overview of the education system, the school, and the education community, as socio-educational points of reference. Students will also acquire knowledge on ethical, social, and personal aspects of the teaching profession.
Internships are already included in the first year of the degree in order to strenghten the link between theory and practice and to bring students closer to real education contexts where they can develop the competences required in their future teaching career. The practicum includes four subjects, one for each year of the degree.
|Practicum I||Practicum II||Practicum III||Practicum IV|
Development and Schedule
According to ECI/3854/2007, from the 27th of December, whereby requirements are established for the recognition of official degrees that qualify students to work as licensed teachers in Early Childhood Education, the Practicum will take place in Early Childhood Education centres that have been accredited as internship training institutions through a previous agreement between the education authorities and universities.
|Course||Year||Credits/Hours||On-site hours||Weeks at the internship centre||Timing|
|Practicum I: Observation and Analysis>||1||6 ECTS/150 hours||*||*||Between January-April|
|Practicum II: Analysis, planning, and general measures||2||12 ECTS/300 hours||180||7-8||Between January-April|
|Practicum III: Analysis, planning, and specific measures>||3||12 ECTS/300 hours||180||7-8||Between January-April|
|Practicum IV: Specialisation or optional programme||4º||12 ECTS/300 hours||180||7-8||Between January-April|
* The Practicum I will be online except for the necessary field work at education centres for data collection.
Practicum courses, except for Practicum I, follow three stages:
- Centre allocation stage: The student will be guided by the Internship Department and a tutor at our Online Platform. The Internship Department will notify the student about the allocated centre, tutor, and any other relevant information. The student will normally remain in the same centre throughout the internship period.
- Internship development stage: The student will visit the centre during the required school hours, and will be under the supervision of the university tutor and the one assigned by the internship centre. This stage includes two phases:
- Context analysis and work planning.; Two key processes are involved here:
- Context analysis: the student’s introduction to the centre, the environment, the education staff, the courses, and education resources.
- Work planning: two sessions will be designed and developed during the internship period. These sessions will be monitored by both tutors. The student may join their tutor at the school centre in other activities related to teaching planning as part of the internship assignments.
- Field work and assessment of the education project: this stage will take place after the session planning process. The activities will be implemented in an actual classroom under the tutor supervision. The tutor will monitor the development and activities of this stage. The subsequent analysis and conclusions will be included in a dissertation or report according to the instructions of the university tutor on our Online Platform.
- Context analysis and work planning.; Two key processes are involved here:
- Final stage. Assessment: once the Practicum is finished, the student must complete the internship portfolio following their tutor’s guidelines.
The Practicum subjects II, III, and IV developed in second, third, and fourth year, will remain annual subjects; however, they are structured around two different sections clearly linked.
- The first section of each subject will focus on context analysis and planning of the sessions that will be implemented during the second section. This first part will be worth 4 ECTS developed throughout the first two terms. The monitoring of the student’s work by the university tutor at the Online Platform is the key to succeed in the second section of the subject.
- The second section will be worth 8 ECTS and will consist of intensive on-site learning during the last term. It will include the field work and assessment of the education project designed in the first section.
The objective of this particular structure is to bring the student closer to real education contexts, and therefore, their decision making process will be based on actual specific educational criteria.
Practicum I: Observation and Analysis
El Practicum I: Observation and Analysis is an annual subject worth 6 ECTS. This means that students will be in contact with their internship centre throughout the whole year.
The objective of this course is to bring the student closer to real teaching contexts so they will develop observation and analysis skills being aware of the social and education relationships within the school and between the school and its environment (institutions, socio-demographic features, etc.)
Additionally, the student will be able to attend, as far as possible, board meetings regarding the centre’s coordination and management activities. Besides, the student will work with documents related to everyday teaching practice such as the education and curricular project, classroom planning activities, and education innovation projects, if any.
Practicum II: Analysis, planning, and general measures
El Practicum II: Analysis, planning, and general measures is included in the second year of the degree and is worth 12 ECTS. The student will develop first-hand knowledge on the first cycle of Early Childhood Education (0-3 years old).
The student will be immersed in the teaching practice and will be guided by their tutor through a process oriented towards the analysis of the classroom, the school, and the socio-economic and cultural environment of the centre in question.
Special emphasis will be made on the student’s work dealing with the basic elements of the teaching practice in Early Childhood Education.
Practicum III: Analysis, planning, and specific measures
El Practicum III: Analysis, planning, and specific measures is included in the third year of the degree and is worth 12 ECTS. The student will develop first-hand knowledge on the second cycle of Early Childhood Education (3-6 years old).
This stage will focus on the work related specific courses, which is in turn, oriented to develop skills on specific elements of the teaching practice (keeping nonetheless the comprehensive nature of the Early Childhood Education period).
Practicum IV: Specialisation or optional programme
El Practicum IV: Specialisation or optional programme is included in the fourth year of the degree and is worth 12 ECTS. The student will focus their teaching practice on topics related to their specialization or optional subjects.
As well as in Practicum II and III, the student should be fully involved in the teaching practice and should be working closely with their tutor through a process oriented towards the analysis of the classroom, the school, and the socio-economic and cultural environment of the centre in question. In this stage the student will choose the age period in which the internship will be developed according to their personal preferences.
If the student wants to take any specialization offered by the University, the Practicum IV credits must be related to the itinerary described for each specialization.
Internship Coordination Department:
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: C/ Fernán González, 76. 09003 Burgos